Operations Research at TUM
The Technische Universität München (TUM) recently established a new Chair of Operations Research (OR), led by Alexander von Humboldt-Professor Andreas S. Schulz, who is holding a joint appointment in the Department of Mathematics and in the School of Management. He is also an Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Advanced Study (TUM-IAS) as well as a Research Affiliate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he previously was the Patrick J. McGovern Professor of Mathematics of Operations Research. The group's research interests include all aspects of OR, especially the development of new theory and algorithms as well as applications of societal relevance.
- We are offering two seminars next semester: on advanced graph theory and complexity in game theory.
- Our postdoc Katherine E. Fitch, PhD, has been named Fellow of the Elisabeth-Schiemann-Kolleg of the Max Planck Society.
- The paper "Good clusterings have large volume" by Steffen Borgwardt and Felix Happach, one of our PhD students, was accepted for publication in "Operations Research".
- Yiannis Giannakopoulos, postdoctoral fellow at our chair, co-authored a paper on "The price of stability of weighted congestion games" that was accepted at ICALP 2018.
- We are participating in the TopMath Elite Graduate Program of the Elite Network of Bavaria. Interested students are welcome to apply. Further information can be found here or on the TopMath homepage.
- We are constantly interested in hiring outstanding PhD students and postdocs in math or theoretical cs. If you are interested, please send your application to email@example.com.
- We are part of the new Research Training Group (Graduiertenkolleg) of the German National Science Foundation (DFG), "Advanced Optimization in a Networked Economy" which offers several positions for PhD students.
See also our news archive.
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Applied Geometry and Discrete Mathematics Group (M9)
- Decision Sciences & Systems Group (I18)
- Deutsche Mathematiker Vereinigung (DMV)
- DFG Research Training Group AdONE
- Gesellschaft für Operations Research (GOR)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Mathematical Optimization Society
- Operations & Supply Chain Management Group (OSCM)
- Theoretical Computer Science Group (I14)
- TopMath Elite Graduate Program
- TUM Department of Mathematics
- TUM Institute for Advanced Study (IAS)
- TUM School of Management